Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Phluh phluh phluh phphphphllll.....


I don't have very many clever things to say today; I'm tired. I just realized it's been over a month since I've posted on my blog. I wish I had news about a change in weight but unfortunately it's been a month and a half of late nights at rehearsal and not enough exercise and eating well. I think that lack of sleep just throws off my entire routine. When I was on a roll I was getting 7 or 8 hours a night. Now I've been getting 4 to 6 hours a night and I just don't have the will.

It's discouraging at times to feel like I'm always starting over with my weight loss. Here's how the conversation goes in my head: "I've not eaten well all week, so I may as well eat what I want and start over Sunday." Do I start over Sunday? Nope. It's like I need someone to follow me around and rip the chocolate out of my hand! I've come a long way from last year and I'm glad that I've at least managed to maintain, but I want to lose more. So here we go again.

I'm in a bit of a cloud today, sorry for the moody post. Oh but good news is that Arcadia (the above picture is from the show) has been going wonderfully and it's been a great experience. I've enjoyed working with everyone, making new friends and learning a lot about myself. The last few shows are this weekend so if you're local I hope you can make it!

I'd like to close with a question, post your answers in the comment box. When it comes to losing weight, or even taking care of your health, do you ever find yourself having to start over, and if you do what do you do to get the ball rolling?

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely have the same problem with exercise. There are times when I'm sitting in this chair that I'm sitting in right now and I think "I have made the conscious choice to do so. I can also make the choice to get up and do a few sun salutations" It's just as simple to make the decision to get up and do something. After that if I still choose to sit in my chair, I know I need to accept that fact that that is what I've chosen to do, and STFU about it. What I find interesting about you Summer, is that you can be so incredibly determined and down right stubborn in other areas of your life. I wonder what would happen if you gave your "non helpful" thoughts an indentity... you could call it George... or whatever you wish, and when "George" rears his ugly ass head, you'll have something to rail against.... you could say "look here George, you're such a negative Nelly, piss off!! And let me do my thing!!" I do not pretend to know what you go through every day, but I do know what it feels like to think I have let myself down....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think anyone who says they never struggled with weight loss but still lost weight is a liar. For me, I had to do my weight loss in chunks. I'd lose 10 pounds (usually in a relatively short amount of time like a month or two) and then maintain for a year. Then I'd lose 10 pounds again and maintain that weight for another year. It took me four years to lose 40 pounds, but I wouldn't have done it any other way. Each time I lost weight, I used a different method because I couldn't go back to the same method for some reason. It's like my ability to stick to a dietary plan only stays with me for a month at a time and then it's lost forever.

    I recently struggled because instead of maintaining, I started gaining some weight again (only a little bit, but my jeans were starting to feel too tight for comfort). It wasn't until I made peace with food and focused on making healthy choices (and stopped counting calories and beating myself up for not being able to stick to a plan) that I started shedding the pounds to get back to where I was.

    Overall, I think losing weight is a trial and error process to find what works for you in this moment. What worked for you last month won't necessarily work for you right now. Sometimes it won't work because your schedule has changed; other times it won't work just because you don't feel like doing it. So don't force yourself. Try something else. And try it today--not Monday or after the weekend. Right now.

    I also found that keeping the initial decision to myself helped me feel less pressure. I know people say to tell someone so that you feel like you have to follow through, but the pressure of feeling like I HAD to follow a diet or exercise plan because I'd told someone I would was enough to drive me to the cookie jar. So if you feel too much pressure, make a decision now, keep it to yourself until you find out whether that particular diet/exercise plan is a good one for yourself right now, and then let everyone know what your secret is when you start dropping a pound here and there. :)

    ReplyDelete